Satellite
  • Day 32

    Sun Gate

    October 31, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    The object is approximately 3.0 m tall and 4.0 m wide, and is constructed from a single piece of stone. The weight is estimated to be 10 tons. When rediscovered by European explorers in the mid-19th century, the megalith was lying horizontally and had a large crack through it. It presently stands in the location where it was found, although it is believed that this is not its original site, which remains uncertain.
    The lintel is carved with 48 squares surrounding a central figure. Each square represents a character in the form of winged effigy. There are 32 effigies with human faces and 16 with condors' heads. All look to the central motif: the figure of a man with his head surrounded by 24 linear rays that may represent rays of the sun. The styled staffs held by the figure apparently symbolize thunder and lightning. Some historians and archaeologists believe that the central figure represents the “Sun God”, while others have linked it with the Inca god Viracocha.
    Although there have been various modern interpretations of the mysterious inscriptions found on the object, the carvings that decorate the gate are believed to possess astronomical and/or astrological significance and may have served a calendrical purpose.
    One theory states, its the chief in the middle and smaller chieftains all around. Others theorize it represents the months of the year and the time to grow different crops etc.

    After this, we had our lunch break before continuing to Pumapunku.
    Read more