Satellite
  • Day 62

    Stargazing tour

    November 30, 2017 in Chile ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    We were ready to go for the star gazing tour at 9 pm as we had been informed but no one showed up to pick us up. At about 9:15 pm, we sent a message to Jonathan about it. He was quite prompt in replying back and told that the bus has already left but a taxi would be there to pick us up in minutes. The taxi came as promised and we reached the place for star gazing at 9:50 pm. There we had an explanation of how to use the sky chart in the Southern Hemisphere. We got to know the constellations that were visible and how to locate them. After that, the 2nd activity was looking through the telescopes. They had set up 5 telescopes pointing to different interesting objects in the sky. We saw an open cluster, a globular cluster, Sirius star, Orion constellation and the Orion nebula. After that, they pointed 3 of the telescopes to the moon for us to take a look and click pictures.
    After that, we were taken inside a dome where we had hot chocolate and some biscuits while we watched a movie on red giants, pulsers, black holes etc.
    The tour ended after that and we were dropped off at our hostel by 11:45 pm.
    Read more