Satellite
  • Day 67

    Lunch/Dinner at El Kaktus

    December 5, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We came out of the church and tried to find a restaurant. Most were closed right now and would open by 8 pm only. Finally, we found one (El Kaktus) on one of the only sode street in the village.
    Everything inside the restaurant was made from dried cactus wood.
    This was our first interaction with the locals on the Argentina side of the border and we realized tgat despite it being just 100 kms from Chile, the language usage, the Spanish, the menu and wjat you got in the meni was very different than from Chile. The Spanish used was a bit different, some of the words used for the same thing though synonyms were different. We couldn't understand a single dish in the menu. Eventually, we managed to figure out that they didn't have the concept of a day meal with soup, main dish and a dessert as in Chile. Here, everything had to be ordered separately and the main items on the menu were Empenadas, pastas and sandwiches. This, we found later was common across the whole of North Argentina. I ordered some vegetarian pasta that turned out to be ravioli like with tomato salsa and cheese.
    Read more