Satellite
  • Day 70

    The accident

    December 8, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We started early from Tilcara. The plan was to drive all the way South to beyond Salta where there are numerous formations along the road. The first 90 kms was nothing special scenic beauty-wise or anything noteworthy.
    Then at San Guillermo, while we were turning to go South, we took a wrong turn and entered the town. There the GPS recalculated our route and indicated a left turn to get us back on the highway. Hristo followed the instructions and prepared to turn at a road crossing. That's when a motorcycle coming at quite a high speed hit us at the front part of the van. The bike fell down and the driver flew for a meter or so. Luckily nome of is was hurt.
    We didn't have any connection in Argentina so we asked the motorcycle driver to call the police while we took pictures and went through our accident checklist. We took pictures of his id, insurance papers etc Then the police arrived (3 cars and 1 ambulance) and started noting down what had happened and took pictures as well. We couldn't get in touch with the Wickedcampers emergency number so I requested the police to either call the Chilean number or providee wifi so I could make a whatsapp call. They had wifi at the police station so I went with them and made a call. Luckily I was able to get through and we got further guidance that we had done everything right. We just needed the person's phone number and the police report.
    In the meantime, Hristo went with the rest of the police to a different police station to complete the report. The police even managed to call a person who knew English.
    We managed to complete all the procedures by 2:15 pm. We continued our journey after that. We stopped at El Carmen at around 3:15 pm and had our lunch.
    Read more