Satellite
  • Day 76

    Papa Vaka

    December 14, 2017 in Chile ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    Papa Vaka is a prehistoric ceremonial site where many religious petroglyphs are carved on the lava flows at the ground level (called papa). The petroglyphs reflect the ancient Rapa Nui's deep concern for the sea and control of its resources. There are figures associated with the sea like fishhooks, canoes and various marine creatures.

    Papa Mango - this petroglyph has 2 marine species represented with simple line diagrams, the kahi (tuna) and mango (shark). There are many figures of kahi mainly because it was highly regarded as a source of food in ancient times and only 2 of mango because it was not part of a typical diet.

    Papa Mangai - this petroglyph has the largest concentration of the mangai (fish hooks) on the island. These were mainly used to catch the highly valued kahi (tuna) and foe this reason these were also called mangai kahi. One of the most extraordinary petroglyph here could represent heke (an octopus) or pikea (a crab) or some kind of mythological sea creature.

    Special canoe - although this panel consists of many canoes, turtles and hooks, the main figure here is the 12 meter long double hulled canoe. This is the largest petroglyph on the island. Maybe it represents the canoe of a king or the canoe in which the original ancestors of the Rapa Nui arrived on the island.
    Read more