Satellite
  • Day 124

    Parque Nacional Iguazu

    January 31, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We took the 9 am bus to the Iguazu National Park gate. Here, at the entrance we learnt that the free boat ride to the San Martín Island in middle of the river was closed due to the level of the water.
    We started on the green trail 1st. Most people head straight for the electric train that takes people to the final station near Garganta del Diablo, the main attraction of the Iguazu falls, so this place is generally crowded in the morning and the afternoon. We decided to go there later in the day when its a bit less crowded.
    The path has been cut through thick forest and despite the stone covered track maintained at a regular interval, the jungle takes over from time to time. There were spider webs over the track with huge spiders hanging in them. At the Estacion Cataratas, the 2nd station on the train track, there were many Coatis. These animals though, totally wild are used to human presence and have learnt to live off them. They were all over the station and the outdoor restaurants nearby trying to snatch and steal food from the people. It was fascinating but at the same time a bit sad as well. Fascinating to see these animals that are so hard to see in the jungle and sad to see them totally dependent on humans. There were boards everywhere indicating not to feed the animals but a lot of people totally ignored these signs. Emboldened, these coatis sometimes would jump on the tables and snatch food and items from people's bags and plates. Much like monkeys in India. The restaurants had kept an interesting piece of equipment to scare them off. They had tied a bottle full of stones at the end of a stick and would shake these near the Coatis when there were too many and too aggressive. The stones would make a rattling sound, much like that a rattlesnake. This would send them scurrying.
    Read more