Satellite
  • Day 127

    Getsemani Cartagena

    February 3, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We woke up a bit late and decided to move our stay near the old town. We booked a room in a hostel in Getsemani area near the old town. Before going off to the old town, we decided to go to the beach nearby and spend some time swimming there. Unfortunately, it was quite windy and all the beaches were marked with No Swimming signs, so we just walked around and came back to the hostel. From the hostel, we took the shared taxi amd went to the old town. From there, we walked to our hostel in Getsemani some 3 kms away. It was quite hot in the afternoon sun and we were sweating by the time we reached the place we had booked. Here we found out that there were no rooms available and due to some problems, they had not been able to update it on booking.com. We stayed in their courtyard and used the wifi to find and book another hostel nearby. The place was about a km away from where we were. We walked over to the Asoka Taro Hostel. It was very near the main plaza of the Getsemani area. We had booked it for one night only hoping to extend our stay there if we liked it.

    Getsemani is now the hippest barrio in Cartagena. It was once known for prostitution, seedy stores and clubs. Now, it is a lovely neighborhood with stunning graffiti and street art, killer restaurants, and is definitely a home for the local Cartageneros.
    Read more