Satellite
  • Day 130

    Buses to Barranquilla

    February 6, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We had been used to the infrequent bus services in Patagonia, off late, so we decided to go to the bus terminal and find out about the bus frequency to Barranquilla which we intended to take the next day. There didn't seem like a single common bus terminal but an individual bus terminal for each operator. 😨
    Luckily, they all sewmed to be in the same area within 2 kms of each other. This place was about 3 kms from the old town, so we decided to walk till there. On the way, we passed the old city fortified walls which on close observation were made of corals from the sea around. We passed through Parque Apollo with its unique Iglesia el Cabrero. Just opposite the park is Rafael Núñez's cabin. Rafael Núñez Moledo (September 28, 1825 – September 18, 1894) was a Colombian author, lawyer, journalist and politician, who was elected president of Colombia in 1880 and in 1884. From here, we walked along the beachfront towards Marbella area where the bus stops were. It was extremely windy near the beach and the sand being kicked up from the beach, made it hard to walk near the road. The sand was flying all across the roads and hit in the face with piercing force. It was easier to walk in the wet part of the beach where the sand wasn't dry enough to fly.
    One by one, we went to all the bus terminals. We realized that there we quite frequent buses to Barranquilla. The one having the most connections was Berlinas, going every 10-15 min. Having figured that part of the next step in our trip, we walked back to the old town.
    Read more