Satellite
  • Day 3

    Crossing the Border

    June 29, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    After another night in Maryborough with the family we managed a quick final visit to the playground and flying fox which was very chilly but good exercise for us considering we were about to travel well over 500km. After our goodbyes we headed north-west towards Mildura. This area called "The Mallee" is basically a massive flat plain of crops. Along the drive there are really large grain silos and a railway line. The road was sealed but quite bumpy. Not much speed for the whole trip.

    After a couple of stops on the way to stretch legs we hit the South Australia border. Normally the officials there are just inspecting all vehicles for fruit and vegetables which are not allowed to enter. We are used to this and make sure we are clear of anything that could cop a fine. The guys are good and search the rig. Julie's slices of frozen lemon for the gins were passed as ok to keep. But this time there were police as well checking all travellers for the covid rules. Luckily we are from Victoria so this week we are allowed to enter. Only Tasmanians and Victorians are permitted to enter. We had to complete a declaration and tomorrow we have to return to the border and undergo a covid test before we drive to our next destination. The new world of travelling!

    As it was dark when we arrived in Renmark we tried to find a freedom camp but didn't have much luck so stayed at Paringa camp. Maybe tomorrow night we will test the solar power set up and go off-grid.
    Read more