Satellite
  • Day 66

    Port Hedland

    August 31, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    As we only had 250km to drive today there was no hurry to pack up and get away. We enjoyed another beach walk before breakfast and were packed up and on the road by 9:30am. The dirt road out to the main road seemed much rougher than driving in. One quick stop on the way for bathroom and coffee break.

    We arrived in Port Hedland around midday. As we are only here for two nights we are taking advantage of some free camping on the edge of the race course. There are at least 30 other rigs and we all need to be self contained. Driving into Port Hedland you can really see the evidence of the mining industry everywhere. There was one of the giant automated trains heading back to the mine and you drive on past a massive salt mine on the edge of the town.

    In the afternoon we went into the tourist information to book a tour that will take us around the harbour by boat. We then walked around the corner smack into the port buildings - there is no escaping the main feature of the town. We then drove along the sea front which is really pretty and down to Pretty Pool. It’s an inlet where the sea comes in and you can swim, no crocodiles or sharks. Oh but wait make sure you wear shoes so you don’t stand on the stone fish as stated by the information. I mean …….seriously 😒.
    We then drive over to South Hedland that is a large town built in the 1960’s entirely as a new residential subdivision to service the large expansion of Port Hedland.

    Back to the van for a sundowner drink and dinner. The site could be a bit noisy as there are main roads close and we will potentially hear the trains.
    Read more