Satellite
  • Day 87

    Shark Bay last day

    September 21, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    We started early so as to catch the dolphin feeding back at Monkey Mia. It was quite busy and started at 7.45am but the dolphins have their own itinerary and came wandering past at 8.25am. There were 10 bottle nose dolphins of which all were female. Only 2 of these are fed as this minimises any dependence on food from humans. There are also strict limits on the amount of food and close contact. Was quite interesting as the females stick together with multiple families grouping together and will never travel far from their birthplace. The males stick together as a team or an "alliance". We were dipped in insect repellent today so we were safe from the midges. The morning weather was perfect and very calm.

    After the feeding we found a 2.5km walk through the scrubland behind the resort so worked hard in soft sand, hot sun with no shelter, and persistent bush flies. They ignore insect repellent. By the time we returned to Denham we deserved a trip to the bakery for a late breakfast.

    A few household chores and calls to people today. Granddaughter birthday today (Lola is 5!). I fuelled up at the local service station then found out later from our camp neighbours that the diesel fuel ran out about an hour after I filled up.

    Decided to try a swim at the Little Lagoon which is just behind the town. It's a big inland seawater lake which is clean but really shallow. We waded out in the water for well over 100metres and the water was still only knee deep. So Regan did a small swim in very shallow water, I decided to skip it.

    Back to camp for drinks with camp neighbours that have just arrived. Talking to fellow travellers has been great to find out about new places to visit and of course learning their stories.
    Tomorrow we have quite a big drive to another national park- Kalbarri.
    Read more