Satellite
  • Day 43

    ROME, ITALY (part 2)

    May 12, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We had a few open days before our flight, and reviewed travel options. The boys (& me) were really keen to spend more time in Rome... so here we are again!

    WEDNESDAY EVENING:
    Second time around, just as cool- if not better! Because we had already seen the 'big ticket' items like the Colosseum and Vatican museums, we thought this time we would check out the smaller attractions like Castel San Angelo, Boca de Veritas (Mouth of Truth), Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps- with a strong focus on food, ambling around, gelato breaks, and getting happily lost.

    Thoroughly enjoyed it! Castel San Angelo was a hit! It was initially built by Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and family. It was later turned into a fortress and castle for the popes (complete with sneaky passage to Vatican 1.2km away), and also used as a prison where they executed prisoners for naughty things like alchemy and freemasonry. The boys enjoyed the antique weapons museum, such as a medieval crossbow/cannon, swords, suits of armour, first-generation pistols, etc. Buz and I enjoyed the rooftop view- stunning.

    We spent a couple of days walking around - hiking up the Spanish Steps with Guy Clarke's lyrics from Dublin Blues going round and round in my head. Threw coins and made wishes in the Trevi Fountain. Revisited the Pantheon after a rain- it really does rain inside. Put our hands in the lion's mouth at Boca Della Veritas and tried not to lie (else the lion bite our hand). Walked around Palatine Hill, the place where Rome is said to have started, thanks to Romulus killing Remus. Saw the Colosseum again. Jesse got his caricature drawn by a street artist. Went back for fruit cups in Campo Di Fiori. Sampled way too many gelatos and threw in a few tiramisu for good measure. And of course, there was rummy at restaurants.

    Buz is keeping us honest with our packing, so some of tonight was spent at Poste Italia with another box of goodies sent back to Aus.

    So, Ciao Rome- una citta multi bella! Tomorrow we head for new adventures in Madrid.
    Read more