Satellite
  • Day 81

    Chishimba falls

    March 7, 2020 in Zambia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    The first time after Livingstone that I meet
    other "tourists" even tough they are all
    locals from Kasama enjoying their Friday evening at Chishimba falls. A nice place worth the 20 USD for a visit and overnight camp but no showers are present. We still have the river for a Badepause ;)

    This "heritage site" is more accessible than the previously visited ones with different viewing points and a beautiful view down onto the endless mainland where the river continues. At two points they elegantly blended small dams between the natural steps of the river and harvest some of the water in a rather antique power plant. I explore this region beyond the actual visitor's area and find a water tower to climb on for an even greater panoramic view. The pipelines lead the way back to the falls :-)

    In general all these bigger water falls in Zambia have been declared as national monuments by the government and they charge 15 USD per visit per person plus 5 USD for a car and sometimes even additional 15 USD for camping. I always argue not to pay for the visit if I camp. Anyway, totally overpriced! The camping facilities are mostly run down (except here at Chishimba) without running water nor electricity. Showers I did not encounter anywhere so far. The place keepers obviously don't get paid well, they all ask for additional support/tips. Would be interesting to know where the government spends all this money ...
    Read more