Satellite
  • Day 423

    Michi for lunch or cow?

    February 12, 2021 in Uganda ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Southern Uganda, pretty uninteresting. Many people around and all are growing plantains, these green East African Highland bananas, partially scattered with coffee bushes in-between. Must be the main agricultural region here. I want to sleep on a village’s football pitch but a local security officer insists in deposing me in the village centre next to the police station because we are bordering the influence of a cannibalistic tribe and he is worried that they never tasted white flesh before. There is litter and cow shit all around my car but it still stinks of Colobus monkey pee anyway, so it seems to integrate perfectly. The night is noisy and short. The cannibals would have been the better option.

    In the morning on the opposite site some of these beautiful Ugandan cows are loaded onto trucks and are beginning their journey to cow heaven in Kampala. I very much like the Ugandan street cuisine which is more diverse than what I know from Tanzania and Kenya. The beef from these free-grazing cows is so damn soft, juicy and tasty! You mostly get just 2-4 smaller chunks bathed in a thick, intense broth which serves as the main flavouring component of the huge side dish of maize porridge, rice or matoke (cooked, mashed green bananas). Additionally, beans or cabbage and fresh juice for lunch.
    But for my breakfast I manage to find a half-litre mug full of chai and a rolex. Rolex! The best! Why don’t Kenya and Tanzania have this awesomeness?? Its base forms one chapati, an Indian-style, pan-fried, flat wheat bread, like a pancake but different. In Kenya, Tanzania and eastern Uganda they use whole-grain flour, here in the south-west rather plain white flour. On top of this chapati they put an omelette of two fried eggs with onions, peppers, tomatoes and sometimes avocado and a pinch of salt. Then they simply roll it to the form of a big cigar. Off I go!
    Read more