Satellite
  • Day 18

    Leeds Castle

    August 18, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Off to Leeds Castle for the day.

    Looks big enough to have its own Council, the carpark is big enough.

    Very cunning, take you money and then have you walk 15mins to the castle. This sorts the crowd out very nicely as old people fall by the wayside, the toddlers all veer off to point at extremely well fed and rather fearless ducks and swans.

    Finally got to the castle, walked an additional kilometre to a cafe that Mark though wouldn’t be as crowded (it was closed) then back again.

    It has now been decided to just forget about getting a coffee in England. There are ads on the TV explaining what a Flat White is all about (seriously) but the message hasn’t gotten far. As well as trying to get a small cup , it’s a hopeless endeavour.
    Their normal cup is a small bucket and people look askance if you try to get something smaller.

    Back to the castle. There’s been one on the site since 1078 and its been rebuilt, renovated and “glamourised” at least six times since then. Story is very interesting but that what’s Google is for. Main thing is it sits in the middle of a lake on two islands. Very neat.

    Then you walk the kilometre to the Maze and back then back to the carpark. There were the usual groups of English people going on expeditions for lunch with enough picnic gear to assault Everest. Sure we saw a Nepali family in the mix.

    They sell it as “The Loveliest Castle in the World” and I’m pretty sure that you could debate it but it’s really very cool.
    Read more