Satellite
  • Day 31

    Dunster Castle

    August 31, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We did leave Hestercombe House on the off chance that the roads would be better.

    Lost that bet.

    8 miles of lane, 3 horses, one white van and we didn’t have to back up once.

    Who is the patron saint of back lanes?

    Duster Castle was worth the drive.

    There has been a Castle is on the site since Saxon times, then the Normans, then the rest.

    During the English Civil War the castle declared for Parliament and got besieged by Royalists then declared for the King and got besieged by Parliamentarians.

    The second time they surrendered and the outer defensive walls were pulled down.
    Luckily for us just before the boys stated on the rest orders came to stop so there is quite a bit left over. Quite a bit.

    It had the usual 18th century makeover and quite a few changes inside and out. Even got a modern kitchen in the 1950s.

    Following the death of Alexander Luttrell in 1944, the family was unable to afford the death duties on his estate. The castle and surrounding lands an dvillages were sold off to a property firm, the family continuing to live in the castle as tenants. The Luttrells bought back the castle in 1954, but in 1976 Colonel Walter Luttrell gave Dunster Castle and most of its contents to the National Trust. It is a Grade I listed building and scheduled monument. (Wikipedia).

    This could all have been avoided if Alexander had handed the estate to his son John earlier but it appears he believed in “paying his way” so stiffed him with the taxes.

    We are now thinking of doing something similar with our extensive estates.

    You walk a million miles up and down but well worth it.
    Read more