Satellite
  • Day 41

    Dom Cathedral Berlin

    September 10, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    What do you give the King and Queen for their 25th Wedding Anniversary?
    I know a Cathedral.

    That’s what the German State did in 1905 when they opened the Evangelical Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church (German: Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin) in Berlin was finished.
    The Evangelicals are the collection of Calvanists and Lutherans in Germany and it’s not a Cathedral as it doesn’t have a Bishop.

    It’s all a bit complicated as there’s been a church here since the 15th century and this one survived both the Allied bombing and the communists although both took their toll. They can call it whatever they want.

    So we had to go and arrived just as a 15mins midday service was starting. They lock the doors so you are staying and although it wasn’t entirely clear on the content the organ is amazing. So’s the church for that matter.

    The climb/ascent to the dome walk is a little challenging (400 steps or so) but the view amazing.

    Many started, few got to the second stage let alone the third.

    The sign in the way actually says “The way up is physically demanding “.

    Have decided some people can’t read.
    Read more