Satellite
  • Day 51

    Torun

    September 20, 2018 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Not much to say about Torun. Ha.

    City of 200,000 on Vistula River founded by Teutonic Knights in Middle Ages and birthplace of Nicholas Copernicus.
    Hasn’t got a lot: city walls , ruined castles, gothic houses and streets, Renaissance town hall, another church the size of a small mountain, biggest gothic bell in Europe, couple of squares surrounded by more gothic architecture. Everything brick as they had a lot of clay and not a lot of stone. Seems to go on for street after street.

    Unlike a lot of cities sin Poland it”s all original as Torun wasn’t destroyed in the war and only the local Communist city officials did any real damage to the place.

    Walking tour in 31 degrees was very good if a little sweaty but place well worth 3 hr drive to get there.

    Have a frog fountain based on legend similar to Pied Piper. Replace rats with frogs and you get the idea. Rub frog and you will return to Torun. A Soyuz can see frogs are very shiny and great opportunity for kids to splash each other.

    One high light was demonstration march by kindergarten children who appeared from nowhere holding banners and flags.
    Converged on central square with a police escorts, stood in front of fountain, sang 3 minute song and dispersed back into the side streets.
    No one was able to explain purpose of event. We don’t thing it was political although the Apprentice Hairdressers School (everyone’s hair braided and warming hives yellow jackets over traditional dress) looked most determined. One group looked like they were wearing Polish Olympic Team uniforms including white hats for boys. Some fairy dresses on display and lots of red and white.
    Most bizarre but very enjoyable.
    Read more