Satellite
  • Day 9

    Athabasca glaciers

    June 14, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    A view of the glaciers can be seen from the main car park of the centre.

    For this trip, we bought tickets to go up onto the glacier which also includes the skywalk. We spent about 3 hours for both the glacier tour and skywalk.

    There's a cafeteria at the centre, but I recommend avoiding it during lunch hours. Our tour was at 1pm so we though we might grab something to eat before our tour. However, the lines were huge, it was packed and a lot of the things were sold out!
    We came back after our tour where there were less people but food was limited.

    There's a bus that takes you to the base of the glacier. It's a 10 minute ride just across the road from the centre carpark. The bus driver we had was very informative and gave us information and facts about the glaciers. You'll see mountain goats on the way up too!

    It's really windy and cold at the base of the glacier. To go up onto the glacier, there's another vehicle you take. The driver gave us more in depth information about the glaciers which was pretty cool. On the way to the glaciers you'll see the double A glaciers - Andromadon and I can't remember the other glaciers name!

    You get 30 minutes to have a wander around, to take photos and take in the view! We also got to fill our bottles up with glacier water.... Very refreshing and cold. Just be mindful... It can get quite slippery.

    Overall I was very pleased with this experience. It was breathtaking and I was glad I got to experience what water tastes like straight from the glacier!

    The same vehicle will take u back to the centre after 30mins. You must be on time, otherwise you'll miss out on the ride back to the car park!
    Read more