Satellite
  • Day 21

    Copenhagen via the Canal

    July 10, 2018 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This morning we purchased a 48 hour travel pass which covers the canal boats, bus and train travel. We only used the canal boats today, but saw a lot of different areas in Copenhagen.
    Our first ferry trip was to see the little Mermaid which is quite small. We noticed that there was at least three large cruise ships in Copenhagen including the Queen Victoria. Very close to this area we came across a military complex which was surrounded by a moat, and which had a large windmill nearby. One of the impressive buildings in this area was built in 1725.
    The architecture of Copenhagen is a mixture of the very old and the very modern. In the afternoon we visited Christianshavn and Nyhavn, the latter being a very touristy area. The brightly painted buildings, the large number of boats moored in the canal, the huge crowds eating outdoors all contributed to the atmosphere. Anita said that Hans Chrstian Anderson lived in this street for 20 years.
    There are many dedicated bike lanes in Copenhagen with different types of bikes such as children being carried in front of the bikes at ground level in what could be termed baskets. The number of canals is also surprising as well as the number of boats, some of which are obviously lived on.
    Read more