Satellite
  • Day 126

    Brisbane to Sydney Part I

    August 23, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Yesterday's hike took more out of us than we'd realised. A deep ache resonated through our bodies and we felt as stable as Bambi walking along Queen Street. The smell of toast and eggs drifted out of trendy eateries where Adidas sporting hipsters breakfasted. The relaxed chatter of the weekend crowd cut out by the roar of motorcycle throttle thundering in from a nearby street.

    We came to a halt in the gardens of the city's, turn of the 20th century, treasury and registrar buildings. From the vantage point of a wooden bench and under the snooty gaze of a bronzed Queen Victoria we soaked in the final hours of pleasant Brisbane before our final bus down to Sydney.

    The heavy crunch of metal drew our attention to a minor traffic accident at the opposite end of the park. With no apparent emergency we remained seated and watched the inaudible drama of witness and insurance details being exchanged and speculated where the man in a tuxedo might have been going and what kind of day the family might have planned.

    Back at the hostel, rest and food brought us back to life and quickly we were saying goodbye to the friendly hostel owners with their doe eyed long haired German Shepherd and heading out of the city on our bus. The sun set fire to the sky before leaving a lilac vapour as it descended below the trees flickering past the window...
    Read more