Satellite
  • Day 127

    Brisbane to Sydney Part II

    August 24, 2015 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    It was a surreal drive through the night to Sydney, drifting in and out of sleep, whilst curled up in a foetal position on a seat perpetually moved with the bounce of chassis against road. Dreams were broken up with flashes of reality, sat bleary eyed in roadside rest stops with illegally bright menu boards advertising mysterious meals named 'Long Haul' and 'Big Rig'. We had neither the energy or nerve to ask what came in an order of 'Big Rig'.

    We felt hungover by the time we filed across the Sydney Harbour Bridge with the Monday morning commuters. A mist of grey drizzle hung over the city yet the Opera House remained impressive down below in the bay. Arriving so early, we had hours before we could check into our room, but once we had eaten, showered and slept for a few hours we felt alive again.

    Surreality continued when we dined out at what we thought from TripAdvisor was a small traditional Italian restaurant. In reality it was a greasy spoon cafe run by Chinese, complete with bright yellow plastic mustard dispensers on the tables. The only sign of Italia was some sun bleached posters on the walls and a chalkboard menu of classic dishes.

    We looked at each other with bemusement as we sat at the table, questioning our judgement and whether we should get out while we could. Yet for the all these initial reservations we ate large bowls of reasonable spaghetti bolognaise with fresh salad and bread for less than £15 in total. Still the clientele were as eccentric as the experience, a fellow patron feverishly wiping down his own table down with a cloth from the kitchen that signalled OCD.

    We laughed at our experience walking back along wet pavements that shimmered with the reflections of city lights. Yet the final surreal moment of the day came when turning on the TV we were greeted with The Police's 'Every Breathe You Take' accompanying tomorrow's weather report. Definitely time for bed.
    Read more