Satellite
  • Day 171

    Tam Coc

    October 7, 2015 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    The steady rise of humidity with the morning sun invited us to spend the day unwinding from yesterday's long journey, not that we needed much encouragement. However the bus driver put our pathetic woe into perspective when he explained that it was a 40 hour drive back to Ho Chi Minh City...

    Sat on the hostel's balcony, a vista of terracotta roofs, mustard fields and limestone mountains stretched around us. From our shaded vantage point we absorbed town life below; small wooden canoes sent ripples along the winding river and farmers spread carpets of grain to dry in the sun. The bass of revving traffic and the shrill of children playing filtered up through the buildings, upon which yellow stars on red hung limply in the heat.

    We reflected that in 2 weeks we would be flying home after 6 months away from our family and friends. There was still much to do, yet it began to feel right that the end was in sight.

    We used the time to plan our stay in Hanoi, where we will base ourselves before flying to Bangkok on the 18th October and then home on the 21st. Whilst we had spoken about visiting Japan or another country, as somewhat expected, our budget has prevented us. Nevertheless we are content, having been blessed with a fantastic time so far. Instead these countries will be our adventures to come!
    Read more