Satellite
  • Day 4

    Alligators

    May 12, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    So, post-Benihana, after rolling in like the food-spheres that we had all become, I believe we all crashed and burned like the fast-travelling stars that we had been for the past two days. At least, that’s what I believe happened, because I was pretty much a walking zombie the minute we walked out of that restaurant, and am pretty certain I exhibited very little conscious thought up until I woke up this morning. 

    Today seemed like another adventure day, and despite the dribble of water that the clouds seemed to want to threaten us with, it was a good day indeed. The heat still abounded, we were still far, far away from the manic lifestyle of London, and we were on our way to spot alligators. 

    Roger carefully rolled alone in the very American-sized people-carrier, as we all leaned out of the window, cameras at the ready, eyes scanning the reed-filled swamp for gators. We spotted some cool birds, wings spread-eagles, no doubt spotting the Alpha-Chlo specimen we had in the car and feeling threatened. Few more birds in, and Mr Rog parked us up and encouraged us to take a little gander, try see some gators, but reminding us we couldn’t outrun them (fun fact: it appears alligators reach speeds of up to 30mph. I can definitely not run that fast. But as a wise man once said: you don’t need to outrun the predator… Just the slowest member of your team. Sorry, Alpha-Chlo). 

    That’s when success struck, and the alligators congregated. It was all fun and games, up until an alligator we were paparazzi-ing started growling, and then an alligator we were not paparazzi-ing because we could not see it, started growling back behind us. The re-entry into the american people-carrier was speedy. 

    A successful drive to exit the tour was had, as a wave of tiny, absolutely fabulous baby alligators were encountered, and many more snapping (haha) was done. It was a decent exploration of the Floridian wildlife, and the weather turned out to be perfect for a slow drive with open windows along the swamps, so suck-it, cloud-rain-grayness. 

    Plans for the rest of the day? After a brief visit for ice-cream at the beautifully synthetic happiness den that is Disney's Celebration Town, head back home, a pool-side read, and then the Samwise and I are up for a full-on three-course meal. Dessert? Brownie, of course. 

    So wish us luck, and see you all on the other side - we will probably be rolling to bed tonight as well. 
    Read more