Satellite
  • Day 16

    Abel Tasman Day Trip

    April 13, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Back to early mornings here! Caught the 715 bus out of town for the Bay Hopper hike at Abel Tasman. By nine the bus arrived at Kaiteriteri and about twenty minutes later the water taxi departed the shores 😊 After about 45 minutes on the water taxi I arrived at my drop off point and began my hike.

    In the first hour I found a nice lookout point and a beautiful beach named sand fly beach (the name doesn't do it justice). There was a middle aged lady swimming topless but she certainly didn't care. She looked like she was having the time of her life. I quite admired her spirit actually!

    Later I found torrent bay and decided to have my picnic lunch here. There were maybe 5 other people at the beach and it was incredibly calm. My trek continued around 1pm. I had a lot of time to myself today but it was nice. I've began to change my mindset in such a way that I don't spend so much time letting my mind wander through the past or into the future. I just keep it focused on the moment and it's been quite a revalation for me!

    I finished the hike with almost an hour until the water taxi came to get me so I spent the last hour in anchorage bay I watched a family go for a swim together. At one point the little girl (maybe 10 years old) yells "it's very cold on my vagina!" I laughed so hard.

    By about 340 the water taxi came and picked me up and off I went. It was a beautiful day but as the sun began to set behind the mountains it quickly cooled off and everyone bundled up. I caught the bus and by six I was home again.

    I realized today I've officially made this an internal rule of mine. Whenever I ask for help (particularly in a hostel, but I'm working on expanding that to my life in general), I then ask the person for their name. Once they give it to me I thank them by name. I think it makes the gesture more heartfelt and personal 😊

    After I got back to the hostel I mainly just relaxed. I made supper and had a shower. Then I kind of figured out my plan for the rest of my time in New Zealand and booked a few key hostels. Other than that I enjoyed the free cake again, even took two pieces! I didn't stick around for social time today because I wasn't feeling up to it. Just lazy and tired. Tomorrow im up at 6am again! Off to Franz Joseph glacier! Nighty night folks!

    -Terrence out
    Read more