Satellite
  • Day 2

    Cardboard Cathedral Christchurch

    February 12, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Already running behind our schedule we decided to not do the Christchurch Gondola today and instead catch a few sites before heading off to Kaikoura. We saw the Cardboard Cathedral but I wasn't keen on paying $35 each to walk inside and another $8 each to take photos. I understand that they need the funds to rebuild but woah. They let me take a photo from the door. It's pretty amazing in that the structure is made from cardboard.

    Across the road from this is the art installation which is serving as a makeshift memorial for the 185 people who died during the earthquake in 2011. '185 empty white chairs' This is very moving as each chair is different and reflects the personality of the person who died. The family members either donated, chose or agreed to the chair. There is a baby car seat as well. People are welcome to sit in the chairs.
    We noticed that there is a lot of graffiti about, mostly street art, though some slubby graf. Apparently before the earthquake Christchurch was a very old city with old, historic buildings and no graffiti about. There is definitely a change afoot!
    Read more