Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Santa Catalina, Panama

    January 18, 2020 in Panama ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    We have plenty of time, so we used public transportation to get from Santa Fe down to the Pacific coast Beach town of Santa Catalina. It took three buses and about six hours of travel and for two people that only cost about $20.

    We toyed with the idea of renting a car for this part of the trip but after looking at the logistics, it's so much easier and cheaper just to use the public transportation. Buses run between every 20 minutes or couple hours, depending on where you're at. and we wouldn't want to leave a car alone for several days/ a week while we're on an island

    This is a small fishing village that evolved into a surfer hotspot. And now it's getting more tourists like us who just want to chill at the beach or visit Isla Coiba.

    We rented a room on air b&b at a place called coiba house. The owner is a Canadian expat who moved here 16 years ago. in Toronto he bought a sailboat and a book on how to sail and learned on his way all the way down to the canal!

    We have the best view of the beach from up on the hill as you can see from the photos. This morning we're going to Isla coiba with fluid adventures. We're kayaking and snorkeling for three days and two nights.

    Isla Coiba is a formal penal colony that is teeming with life. It's like a mini Galapagos. We'll take a one and a half hour motor boat ride out there and get in the kayaks from there. Most people go for the day to dive or snorkel in the coral reefs but we get to spend three days and two nights and camp on the beach.

    More photos and vids are here.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/tdioYqnq4cR6LtPc9
    Read more