Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Ulm is where the (oldest) Art is

    September 30, 2022 ⋅ ☁️ 54 °F

    From Lindau, Ulm isn't too far of a side trip if you're going to Augsburg. So we checked in our bags at the station there after a short train ride and checked out the Fisherman's Quarters., which is a lot easier than saying Fischerviertel-Blau. The rest of the city is modern and not too much to look at, but this area is chock-full of half-timbered houses along a canal near the Danube. It's what I would call a muddy river and definitely not blue.

    We're in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg now, so we grabbed lunch at a tradional restaurant. Deanne ordered a strange, yet delicious meal with turkey, Brie cheese, fresh horseradish and berries on a large pretzel sliced in half like a bagel. My Nuremberger sausages with potatoes and kraut filled the bill. I'd had the Regensburg version years ago, and they were similar. Are those fighting words around here? They are small and look like American breakfast sausages, but they're a lot better.

    And are we on the Einstein trail? If there is such a thing. Einstein was born here in Ulm, Germany and he worked in Bern, Switzerland where he developed and published his theory of relativity while working at the patent office. Check and check.

    We ended our brief stay by visiting the Museum Ulm. It was an interesting hodgepodge of art and history. A modern art wing displayed some pop art from Liechtenstein and Warhol. But the piece de resistance of the museum was a carved ivory tusk of a half man, half lion that was found in a nearby cave. It was found in pieces in 1939 and was reconstructed just about 10 years ago after they found missing pieces in the same cave. It's estimated to be between 35,000 and 40,000 years old. Wow. To put that in perspective, it's the OLDEST statue EVER found. And one of the top 10 oldest pieces of art EVER found. Ulm is where the art is. After a quick stop for coffee, we got on a high speed train to Aubsberg where our hotel was waiting.

    Hey Matt Gallo: I never could find any Grain Belt here.

    More photos and videos are here.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Adav6SWmviFaLyYu7
    Read more