Satellite
  • Day 15

    Maui - Day 7 (Mt Haleakala)

    August 8, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    This trip has expanded our horizons in so many ways. Today Amanda and I pushed ourselves over the edge... literally! We booked a tour with Eco-Adventures, a zipline company with minimal impact on the environment and a percentage of our admission going back into preserving the environment. Our tour guides, Kelsey and Shane, were very knowledgeable and extremely entertaining. They kept us laughing as we hiked through Mt. Haleakala to the different ziplines, which grew increasingly longer and steeper. Ziplining itself was incredible! The final step off the platform was a huge adrenaline rush, but once you're swinging a sort of calmness comes over you as you "fly" through the forest. It was Amanda's first time ziplining and I hadn't been since I was a teenager... by the last zipline we were both running and jumping off the platform, wishing the adventure could last forever! Fear of heights? What fear of heights?

    We could have easily called it a day after ziplining, but with only two days left of this amazing vacation we didn't want to waste a minute! We headed to the Kihei Village Shops, where local artists sell their work, and picked up a few souvenirs before heading to the beach. After an early evening swim, we watched the sunset over the Pacific and stars emerge in the night sky. What a day!
    Read more