Satellite
  • Day 1

    Day 1: Auckland - City of Sails

    February 27, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    If Auckland is any indication, I definitely made the right choice of sabbatical destination.
    …Sunny, gorgeous weather. Mid-70s.
    …Friendly people who smile back at you on the street.
    …Island vistas from the numerous volcanic cones that the city is constructed over.
    …Gingerbread Victorian bungalows - think of a cross between Key West and New Orleans, without the icky humidity & mosquitoes.
    …Coffee fit for a Portlander.
    …Little hidden, litter-free beaches with warm, calm waters
    (even if getting to them at low tide is a mucky, dangerously-rocky
    endeavor)
    …Delicious food that reflects the international fusion of cultures in the city.

    I won’t lie. If coronavirus strands me here for longer than intended, I won’t cry.

    Daily Observations:
    ~ Air New Zealand Premium Economy is awesome! Foot rests/ huge pillows.
    ~ Ordering special meals on planes ruins the tiniest spark of a feeling that you’re enjoying fine dining with their entirely foil-wrapped tray and plastic utensils. I may have to brave possible dairy content on my other flights.
    ~ Modern, water-conserving toilets ruin the fun of seeing the drain spin the opposite direction. I have yet to witness this quirk of the Southern Hemisphere.
    ~ Allen and Dee are great hosts. Allen, especially, will talk your ear off, and Dee is responsible for the fun decor around their very lovely Herne Bay townhouse. Louis & Paris, their frenchies, are in charge of ensuring guests don’t need to wash any sweat off their legs and feet themselves.
    ~ Unsolicited Trump-joke Count = 1

    P.S. - I’m still adjusting to my new camera and lenses. So, I’m expecting to get better at the photos as I go along.

    P.P.S. - I’m also experimenting with this app, so let me know what you think.
    Read more