Satellite
  • Day 10

    Cinque Fotografies- Barcelona Day 5

    April 23, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today we took a short train trip to Sitges, a beautiful coastal town to the south of Barcelona.

    We enjoyed a walk through the beautiful streets, savored tapas and wine, and the views of the playa. Today's weather was unsettled. we enjoyed periods of sun while walking through town, and we managed to miss getting drenched and pelted by a downpour and hail.

    23 de Abril is El Día de San Jorge, the celebration of the patron saint of Catalonia. The city celebrates the legend of St. George, the dragon and the princess. It is thought that St George died on this day.

    Roses and books are featured throughout the streets of all the towns and cities of Catalonia to celebrate the day of their patron saint. The festival originates from the legend of Saint George, the dragon and the princess.

    According to legend, a dragon devastated the a Catalonian town until the townspeople decided to offer one person as sacrifice each day chosen by lottery. One day the king's daughter was chosen and when the dragon was going to consume her, a knight (St. George) appeared and he slayed the dragon. According to legend, a rosebush grew from the dragon's blood, and the knight gave it to the princess. In Catalanonia, the people also believe in this story that the Catalan identity is vindicated.

    While I understood the roses, I was curious about the books. Apparently Cervantes and Shakespeare died on this day. People celebrate by gifting each other books and roses.

    Today we also celebrate from afar my Mother-in-law Sandy Carroll's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sandy! We also want to wish a Happy 40th Anniversary to Jim's Aunt & Uncle, Jeanne & Jim!
    Read more