Satellite
  • Day 30

    Cinque Fotografie-Tuscany Day 2

    May 13, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    After an amazing breakfast, we took a two-hour drive to the town of Assisi, birthplace of St. Francis. The drive was so beautiful as we traversed rolling hills of green- olive trees and vineyards with mountains serving as a backdrop.

    I've had many reflections on taking this trip as a former Catholic who traveled among others who were clearly making a pilgrimage to this beautiful hilltop town and Basilica.

    Ever since I was a kid, I loved the story of St Francis. I knew that he held reverence for all living things and held respect for diversity. He abandoned a wealthy life and chose poverty and service. In doing so he defied his father and chose his own path at a young age.

    Today I also learned about Claire who followed Francis and chose a life of poverty and service as well. They both created a movement with a significant following.

    I was today years old when I learned that St. Francis was never ordained, yet the Franciscan movement was endorsed by the Pope at the time.

    I was really moved when we sat in the lower Basilica and witnessing St. Francis's tomb about above the altar. As we walked around the altar, we witnessed the burial sites of his four closest friends as well as a woman who wanted to visit Francis on his deathbed. Initially, she wasn't allowed, but Francis invited her as one of his last acts, and her remains also rest nearby. The thought of being with those you love when your life ends is beautiful and comforting. In all of his suffering in his short life of 44 years, Francis was rich in his love for all beings and the return of the love by his friends and followers.

    I have always loved singing the Prayer of St. Francis. I had no idea that he didn't write this prayer and it was instead penned anonymously seven hundred years later (1912) by a French clerical magazine. Regardless. I have always loved the thought of that it was more important to "seek to understand than to be understood...",an important element of any healthy relationship in work and in personal matters. Stephen Covey lifted it as one of his "Seven Habits..."

    I learned that St. Francis did write his own gratitude prayer "Canticle of the Sun". In the prayer, Francis gives broad thanks for all creation. When he was nearing the end of his life he amended the prayer to include and celebrate "Sister Death" and his belief in the afterlife. http://www2.webster.edu/~barrettb/canticle.htm#…!

    We returned late afternoon and reflected on the day as we relaxed by the pool and later took an evening walk in the tranquility hilltop village of San Gimignano under the watchful eye of "sister moon".

    I finish the day grateful for friends and family and the motivation to find new ways to be of service to others when we return home.

    Buona Notte. 🌙 🌚 🌔 🌕 🌖 🌛 🌙 💗
    Read more