Satellite
  • Day 36

    Cinque Fotografie-Tuscany Day 8

    May 19, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    One of the goals of our family time together was to take a trip to the coast and to enjoy some time at the beach. As the emerging summer is becoming more evident with consistent sunny days and warmer temperatures hitting the lower 80's° F, we thought today would be perfect.

    At the advice of our hosts,we traveled to Polpulonia in search of a public beach. On the way, we retraced the hilly winding roads through Volterra and continued to the coast.

    During our time in Tuscany, we have admired vast fields of red poppies that contrast valleys and hills boasting varieties of shades of green. As we were approaching the coast, we noticed a particularly abundant and vibrant splash of red created by a poppy field, and we pulled over to take some photos.

    We reached Polpulonia in search of a public beach and the opportunity to rent some lounge chairs and umbrellas. We were delighted to find Bagno Baratti and a row of lounging chairs on the beach.

    I learned after the fact, that Polpulonia was an ancient Etruscan port city (Fufluna) named after the god of wine and intoxication. I've been an unknowingly devoted follower of his in ample wine offerings this week.

    This area was also an important port and was known for its mining and trade of iron which remains evident in the black, red and silver shining beach sand. We didn't explore the adjacent Etrascan Necropolis; we instead opted for sunbathing and wading in the horseshoe shaped Gulf of Baratti nestled between the Ligurian and Tyrrhenian Seas.

    The water temperature was cool, but bearable, and it was a nice contrast to the balmy air temperature. We loved the clear water and calm sea. We noticed some small fish that seemed consistently interested in stalking Jim C. We enjoyed a nice lunch on the beach which was surprisingly good for beach shack food.

    While people watching from the shore, I couldn't help but notice a young man playing on the beach with his young son Nico. When his son wanted his father's attention, he called out "Papi" and the interaction made me long for grandfather time and to reflect on days at the beach with Genevieve and Keegan when they were young.

    I also watched a carefree older woman swimming on the beach in striking white pigtails, and I kept thinking of her resembling Pippi Longstocking who had matured gracefully.

    When I watched Sharon, Nancy and Jim in the water I could envision their younger selves enjoying a beach day as well as my time at the beach in Connecticut and Rhode Island. A little too much sun exposure today reminded me of sunburns and Noxema applications to sooth the ache in my youth.

    On the way home, we stopped for our obligatory gelato break after Nancy and Sharon received Covid tests in preparation for their return to the U.S. (all good). We had another wonderful leisurely dinner on the terrace, and called it a night.

    Buonanotte, amici e famiglia! 💞
    Read more