Satellite
  • Day 50

    Fünf Fotos- Köln Day 2

    June 2, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    After a great night's sleep, we walked to Rico, an outdoor café in the neighborhood for breakfast. It was fun to watch the city coming to life, although this neighborhood is pretty sedate overall.

    We decided to check out Köln's Botanical Gardens as the day was sunny and cool. The grounds were really beautiful, and we enjoyed seeing the different plants, those familiar and unfamiliar.

    Since the launch of our trip, we have sent photos and videos back to our granddaughter, Olive, of one of her favorite storybook characters, Pete the Cat. Jim C found the book at the local library about a year or so ago. In the first book that we read to her, Pete is wearing his brand new white shoes and through a series of mishaps, he stains them as he steps in the different obstacles (🫐, 🍓, mud and water). Regardless, Pete remains undaunted and sings a ditty that embraces his altered footwear. The story ends with a great moral: "No matter what you step in, just keep walking and singing your song."

    We created a bit of an amused stir of those observing us place Pete strategically on a statue in the garden. It was fun to attempt to explain what we were doing to a German audience.

    I have a purpose to my lengthy birdwalk (catwalk?): Olive is 3 years old today. It is bittersweet being thousand of miles away, but we have been making weekly Zoom calls to stay connected in addition to our "Pete" texts. We love watching Olive grow. We cherish the opportunity to be Opa & Papi. Olive has lived most of her young life amidst the pandemic, and yet she is one of the most joyous souls. And as we celebrate Olive, we also celebrate our bonus grandson James who Olive adores.

    So today, rather than just getting lost in our latest attraction, we took time to celebrate our family and the life waiting back home for us in Portland.

    Our life is muy Rica es the café reminded us today. Guten Tag!
    Read more