Satellite
  • Day 72

    CÚIG GHRIANGHRAF-Ireland Day 7

    June 24, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    The skies opened up a bit today, and Ireland showed us the cool and rainy weather that tends to match its reputation.

    We did some window shopping in the neighborhood, and when it rained harder, we saw that as a good excuse to consume crepes and cappuccinos.

    We took advantage of a reprieve in the storm, and we enjoyed a coastal walk along Kinsale's Scilly Trail. The flowers, pastel colored homes and water served as a necessary, but too brief a distraction from the SCOTUS news back home.

    I feel for every woman back home who has now taken the brunt of a decision made by an illegitimate court. While it would be easy to also feel sorry for myself about "previews of coming attractions", I know that we will soon return home to do our part to make the U.S. a safe place to be. But for today, I realize that the pleasure of a holiday stroll along Ireland's beautiful coast or a beer at a local pub is diminished by the palpable anger that I sense "across the pond" in a country that feels very lost.

    Eurooean acquaintances who we have met on our journey keep asking "What's happened to America?" They don't understand guns, election corruption, a cultish following of a deranged former President and the erosion of a woman's reproductive freedom.

    I don't have a good answer other than to say that it's very broken, and we will need to regroup and fight again."

    A print on a restaurant wall caught my eye this evening. It was filled with sheep in the streets. Sheep don't change anything. The power of angry people working together do. They have always prevailed. We will too.

    Despite the storms here, we had a beautiful day- a lovely walk, a drink among Irish folks, a spectacular dinner and time with each other.

    We will weather the storms back home as well, and come November, we will do everything we can to make it a brighter day for all.
    Read more