Satellite
  • Day 112

    Hospitality

    August 25, 2018 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Hospitality of the people we meet is overwhelming. Our senses get flooded with impressions in this vibrant city. Even though it was Bayram, the center is packed with crowds. (Bayram = official holiday and many shops closed and people are in Mekka or with their families.)

    'You can stay as long as you want' our warmshower host Ahmet tells us and even gives us all his keys for his flat! :D Thank you, we are absolutely astonished :):) And we hope to host back another day!

    After a typical turkish breakfast with Ahmet (Simit, Tea, Tomatoes, etc.) Jo's hair and beard gets cut while Wi get served Turkish coffee and cold water. Service level is on the very top end in Turkey in our perception. We would like to bring a bit of it home. ;)

    We stroll endlessly with Paddy and David on the Grand Bazaar, read Arabic books and then continue on the Spice Bazaar today. It is so colorful, lively and tasty! A pity we can not take much on the bikes but it was successful shopping.

    Then, we are invited to the brother of Wis friend who lives in the east of Istanbul. We have an impressive dinner and get to know his family. We feel already offered soo much but of course they insist to even bring us to the metro station and we cannot pay for the 'taksi'.

    After that, we are happy to meet our host again. He takes us to local street food places and shows us the Taksim square and Galata tower. Again, crowds of people, more arabic influence, impressive views.

    Tired but happy we go to sleep.
    Read more