Satellite
  • Day 114

    Asia & Polish village Polonezköy

    August 27, 2018 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We are still tired today and leave Istanbul very late. Even though we take the tram to the last station, we cycle a one hour along the Bosphorus to finally leave the central part of this gigantic city. We pass some nice villas. Ahmet recommended us to take the boat to the other side, so we enjoy to travel to the Asian continent on the water.

    Directly on the other side, it leads up the hill so steeply (20%?), it is impossible to ride. So a lot of walking and sweating changes with great panoramic views and small villages with a lot of fruits and vegetables. The black fig trees just get ripe and pomegranade trees grow here as well. Both are fresh absolutely delicious.

    By chance we end up at Marias place in Polonezköy. The village is a polish enclave in Turkey. Maria is 74, runs a pension and speaks perfectly German. The village is based on polish ancestors, is mainly catholic and they eat pork. We learn about the history and how her relatives have build the village from nothing after fleeing the war. Once, her sister even danced with Atatürk. We even get a tour by the mayor (relative of Maria) in his private museum. Very interesting :)

    Goal for tomorrow: Back to black...sea
    Read more