Satellite
  • Metz - day 30

    May 11, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    So when we woke up the forecast was still for rain. So we leisurely had breakfast, thought about what we would do, and then decided to head for Luxemburg. By the time we had done the water and toilet emptying it was nearly 11, and by that stage looked like the weather had cleared up. But we still left, though I was mourning leaving France. About 20 mins into our journey Jody said ‘spit it out’ as I was visibly in decline. So I said I felt like turning left ie staying in France. So we stopped and looked at a map, and decided Metz was sort of on our way so that’s where we went. Of course by the time we got close it started to rain again, but we found a campsite and spent a couple of hours reading books again. Once it fined up we biked to a supermarket to stock up as tomorrow is Sunday and everything will be closed again (it has taken us a while to wise up to that one!). Then Jody found a restaurant with really good reviews, so we tried to go there for dinner but they were fully booked. So we dropped off our groceries and went off biking.

    The town is really pretty with several wonderful buildings. We also got some neat pics of the river being totally calm with great reflections. There were a lot of people in the town, and quite a few restaurant choices. It started raining again, so we chose a restaurant by the cathdral. It was funny when we went in as they didn’t speak any english. We thought they were saying that we could come back at 9pm to eat as they had bookings before then, but a few minutes later we realised they were saying we could eat now, but had to be finished by 9 as they had a big booking that. That suited us just fine, and we had a wonderful meal – I had angus beef in a yummy sauce with nice green veges. Jody had chicken with salad, but the salad didn’t arrive. It was great being served so quickly as well. Then we went back to Nico and are planning to get up earlyish tomorrow so we can bike around here and have a good look, and then head for Luxemburg later in the day.

    It is Saturday today, and we have our ferry crossing from Calais to Dover on Thursday, so have 4 nights after tonight. Plan is for 2 in Luxemburg and 2 in Bruges but our plans have changed this whole trip, so it is probably 50 50 as to whether that will actually happen! At least the weather is supposed to be nice and fine everywhere, so choices are not weather dependant.
    Read more