Satellite
  • Copenhagen - day 37

    May 18, 2019 in Denmark ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Alarm went off at 4am and we were in our taxi and off at 4.45. Had a bit of an issue at the airport as my travel agent had spelt my name wrong just for this leg – I have an r at the end of Ferrar. So I couldn’t check in. But they managed to change it for me. I don’t normally use travel agents, and couldn’t check my details just for this flight. Then we also had the issue of the large kitchen knife in Jody’s carry on – who would have thought that was a problem? And in her other bag she had a can of coke. Obviously packing while tired wasn’t the best idea. But we were there in plenty of time and on our 7am flight early with a spare seat between us which was nice. The plane had lots of spare seats. I have flown British Airways once before and both times had spare seats.

    It was really foggy when we landed in Copenhagen so the plane was landed entirely on instruments rather than the pilot – they told us that twice so it must have been significant. Our hotel is quite nice and very near the centre which is good. We checked in and went off for a walk to the food market – there was no breakfast served on the plane, so we were a bit peckish by then. Oh my, the market was great. Lots of food options. We started with Chinese rice paper chicken wrap which was quite spicy. Then I found some watermelon which was very tasty and good for a very tired person. Then Jody stood in a queue forever for some Mexican tacos which were amazing while I searched for the shortest queue so I could go and sit down – quiche was rather nice tho. We had walked through a really nice park on the way there – lots of wacky backy smells from the people lounging around.

    We were really really tired by this stage and had 2 hours before our Segway tour, so just found a park to sit in and played games on our phone. Jody had been googling when we arrived and booked this tour then, but it was something we always had intended to do here. It was a wee walk to find the segways, but we had a paper map which made things easier than the electronic version. We had a trial ride in the building before we went off. Jody was a little bit unstable, and may have bumped into a few barrels, but once we were off she was just fine. I found it ok to ride, particularly once I moved around on it and worked out how it moved. They could go quite fast too which was fun. The only issue was standing up for 2 hours – I have rarely felt this tired! Lack of sleep coupled with a very tiring day driving yesterday wasn’t a good combination. The tour was great though, and we saw some lovely sights around the city. One lady fell off twice, and one man twice cos he wasn’t watching where he was going and ran into things – his partner thought it was hilarious.

    Then we walked back to the hotel seeing interesting shops. Had a gourmet burger for tea as we just needed to eat something and topple into our beds. It was really nice to finally do that! Impressions of Copenhagen –a city that it would be nice to see more, bikes absolutely rule (apparently more than in Amsterdam), and it is really really expensive.
    Read more