Satellite
  • Day 6

    Exploring Bergen

    May 26, 2019 in Norway ⋅ 🌫 10 °C

    Our ship is the Viking Sun...beautiful 2 yr old ship. We are docked beside the Viking Sky the ship that had all the problems in March where waves washed overboard and guests were helicoptered off in the middle of the night. So there have been lots of comments about making sure we get back on the right ship.
    We lingered a bit his morning enjoying the ship, then joined our tour of Bergen before noon.
    We learned some of the history of Bergen.
    May 17 was constitution day..independence from Denmark so lots of festivals still in progress.
    Historically Norway's oldest houses are around Bergen.. old German and Norwegian merchants brought in cod to trade with rest of the world around 1100. The Hensietic league rogue businessmen from Germany overpowered the fishermen for years.
    Most buildings are made of wood then later of stone a symbol of power.
    Bergen gets 265 days of rain it is the rainiest city in Norway so we are very lucky to have a gorgeous sunny day today. The population of Bergen area is 280,000
    Big explosion of Bergen 1944 burned most buildings, the re-build after the great fire started the culture change.
    Bergen is a city of 7 mountains..Norwegians love to hike the 7 mountains..... hiking is very close to people's hearts..often a first date is to go on a hike...see if you are cut out to be Norwegian on first date.
    Crime very low in Bergen..highest standard of living in world so low social issues..low crime...low unemployment...health care for all...government paid education for all...open immigration they need people..to help develop country...very environmentally conscious.
    Old and new..civilization and nature live side by side. Known as happiest society in the world. Very trusting of others...they have a good life do not need to steal etc.
    Money came from oil..oil fund only uses 4pc of the billion dollar fund. They spend the interest of the fund in infrastructure and health care.
    There are a lot of tunnels up to 26km underground paid for by the oil fund Bergen is now well connected by tunnels and ferries where it was previously isolated..
    Immigration largely from Poland and central Europe till recently..now from all over.
    Great music hall..composer Edward Greig ..known for songs such as Morning Song. We heard a concert of Greig music on the ship last evening.. lovely.
    Numerous buildings even today made with wood even foundation. They have the most Tesla's in world..want electric cars...no sales tax..no tolls...charge cars free around country. Environmental very big.
    Read more