Satellite
  • Day 28

    Boxing Day - Robbery

    December 27, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    The day started with a hang over and a very slow start. Finally hit the road around 11 stopping at a beautiful cafe on one many bays around the lake. Homemade gnocchi was exactly what I needed.

    Then up the chair lift to Cerro Campanario for amazing views of Bariloche. I took some greats photos and some amazing panaramas which I was looking forward to reviewing later in the day. At the top there is also a revolving restaurant which provide a beautiful view of the lake below. From here you can see many of the ski runs that surround the city.

    Once down it is time to do some present shopping for those at home. We park the car not far from the main shopping centre and head off for 2 hours of shopping. It was siesta time so I had to wait for some shops to open but soon found what I was looking for.

    Mel and I met up at 6pm ready to get dinner and head back to the hotel. When we got to the car we new immediately something was wrong. The car was open the bags were gone. Flustered, shocked we locked the car and went directly to the police. Little did I know what saga this would lead to.

    The police speak no English so one has to go to the tourist office who translate what we say into Spanish. It is a little like Chinese whispers. We have no idea what they right down or if it agrees with what we have said. At the time we had no idea how the car was entered as there was no visible sign of entry that we saw. Then you take this form to the police who in turn transform that into a formal statement. So many obvious things are wrong, my name address etc. goodness knows what it actually says. 3 hours later we finally find ourselves heading home.

    This saga is not over - it continues for 3 more days.
    27/12 I ask the receptionist to translate my statement. In broken English she tells me it says my name, where the car was parked, what time and what was stolen. Nothing else - nothing about our bags, nothing about car being open etc. We then ring the rental car agency - check the locks they say. Both locks have been damaged, the key no longer goes in. As I can automatically open the doors I didn’t even think about this.

    Next the rental agency come to get the car fixed under insurance. As the statement does not say the car was broken into they go to police to change the statements. Come back tomorrow at 8am they are told. They write in Spanish about the locks and ask police to change statements. I also get added they fact that the bags were in the boot, as this was missed on original statement. I will take this with the original statements to the station tomorrow.

    28/12 Back to police station - come back tomorrow at 9am. The police officer is not on duty today. This is starting to worry me if it is not in statement how will insurance go. It is very frustrating when you don’t speak Spanish and they don’t speak English. Google translate can only do so much, much is lost in the translation.

    29/12 Back to police station at 9am as requested. I have also asked car rental company to join us, he arrives at 915. This looks more promising, some smiles, asked to sit. The female police officer even comes to ask some questions, that’s a first. We are finally given new statements. Does it say everything we need, I’m not sure. The car rental guy is happy, so I know at a minimum it has the break in via the locks included. What does it say about my gear - no idea. Well I have copies of everything, have explained the saga to my insurance. So know I will wait until I’m back in Aus to put in the claim.

    Well that’s a learning exercise in patience and perseverance. No use getting upset it doesn’t help, follow the process and rules hopefully it will work out in the end.
    Read more