Satellite
  • Day 31

    Chile Here I Come

    December 30, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Finally it is time to leave Argentina and make my way across the border to Chile. Saying goodbye to Mel I board my bus. My ticket was checked before I got on but in checking the passengers just before leaving the bus driver realised I was on the wrong bus. Off loaded I find the correct bus but am directed to the wrong seat. I soon get moved on as an adamant young lady tells me to get out of her seat. Didn’t need to understand Spanish to work that out.

    About an hour into the ride we get the customary juice and de Luca biscuit. On longer trips you also get 2 epanades. The buses are quite comfortable Which make the trips a lot more enjoyable.

    We arrive at the Argentina border, the buses appear to get preference over the cars and it takes only about 20 minutes for everyone to get cleared to leave. The drive through “ no mans land” is about 30 minutes through the mountains. On reaching Chile everybody disembarks with all luggage. First to get my visa, valid for 90 days no charge. Then hand luggage is checked. You go stand beside your suitcase to get this opened and checked as well. Certainly not a through check, but at least something.

    It feels very odd to arrive in a country where cash is king and I do not have 1 Chilean peso on me. Most places to not take visa cash is certainly the most used. In Argentina ATMs were quite scarce and in some towns the ran out of cash for days. Not sure what to expect in Puerto Montt I was a little worried about how I was going to get to my hostel. When the bus arrived, about 7 hours, I ventured into the bus station, luckily there were atms with money. First problem solved. On the bus were a group of students who spoke English so I befriended them, they helped me get an Uber to my hostel. We exchanged phone numbers so we could catch up later.

    My hostel was only 1 k from the time centre, so dropping my bags I ventured straight into town. Everywhere was selling NY things, hats, masks, streamed etc. Strangely most stalls had a large supply of yellow knickers. Not sure what this was about. The shopping centre was large and modern with all the normal year end bargains. I soon found a bar to have a wine and dinner. Having no idea what I ordered I ended with the best meal of my whole trip. Salmon,shrimp and fish combination- it’s was flavoursome tasty yum.

    Back to the hostel to rest ready for New Year in Peutro Montt.
    Read more