Satellite
  • Day 32

    New Years Eve

    December 31, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Waking early I venture downstairs for breakfast - toast, cheese and cold meat is the main breakfast in both Chile and Argentina. I have eaten more bread and pastries in the last 5 weeks than in the last 2 years. The family ask me to share dinner with them tonight at 10 pm. Again in South America the days start later, shops don’t open until at least 10 and close around 8 or 9. Cafes are rarely open early. Shops will also close for siesta between 1 and 4. As it is a Sunday it is even quieter, I do not venture out until after 11.

    The street are empty, the supermarket is hectic. I wander around town seeing the local sites trying to find a tour for tomorrow, I soon realise not much is going to be happen then tomorrow. My new friends, from the bus, text and ask if I would like to join them on Tuesday for a volcano tour. Yep I’m in.

    Fighting the crowds at the supermarket I purchase some bubbles and wine for NY. The afternoon is spect resting before I head out again at 6pm. The plan was to have a few drinks and head back to hostel at around 9pm. But not a chance, most of the bars are already closed, I find 1 open until 7. So I quick drink and back to the hostel. Most families have dinner at home then go out there watch the fireworks.

    Sandra, my host, has been cooking all day. The table is set with masks and whistles. We share my bubbles before dinner commences. I am so lucky that be in this hostel, not sure what I would have done if I was somewhere else.

    Dinner is amazing a wonderful seafood dish to start followed by beef, salad and potatoes. Then the 5 varieties of dessert Sandra has also cooked. It is a very international dinner, China, South Korea, France, Russia, Chile and Australia is represented. Although there were certainly language barriers we all had a blast. Seeing the New Year in style. Happy New Year.
    Read more