Satellite
  • Day 11

    Postojna Caves

    June 6, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Car hire pick-up day. Here we go, been awhile since I have driven a manual car on the right hand side of road. We picked the car from Avant, very quick and efficient. They are close to the outer ring road which makes it easy to get out of town and head south west to Postojna.

    The Postojna Caves are very touristy but well worth the visit. The caves have been open to the public for 200 years this year - incredible. There are over 24k’s of passages within the cave system, visitors get to see approx 5k’s.

    Entering the caves is on a schedule, we were lucky we did not have to wait to get onto the train. (I’m sure in high season this could be a problem, so it may be advisable to book ahead online). It is quite expensive, we paid €37 for the caves and Predjama Castle. The tour group is split up into language groups first, then you board a small open air train to travel 4k’s into the cave. This trip is quite spectacular and quite chilly. The temperature is approx 10C. On completion of the train ride you disembark for a guided tour of the cave system. It is spectacular, I have never been is such a huge huge cave system previously. The walking tour is approx 1 hour, all up it takes 1.5hours. The group is quite large so it can be hard to hear the guide at times. There is no flash photography or touching allowed. Unfortunately photos do not show the enormity of the actual caves.

    We headed to the Predjama Castle 9k down the road next. This castle is build on the side of a cliff, using both the inside cave and outside. An audio guide is provided for use as you make your way through the structure. It was quite busy, not the most impressive castle I’ve seen, but still worth a short detour.

    We head back to town only to find a park is not that easy. Our streets are closed with bollards, every spot we find is full. Eventually we ring Viktor, our host, who meets us and helps to find a legal park about 5 mins away from the house.
    Read more