Satellite
  • Day 6

    Birding Larnaca area

    February 28, 2020 in Cyprus ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Decided on a longer day today so set off early and drove the roughly 65km to the other side of Larnaca. First stop was the large salt lake near the airport where we explored - Slender-billed Gull and Black-necked Grebe added to the list. Then further along, down a track, we found a nice little area for waders where there was a single Black-tailed Godwit plus some Ringed Plovers, Little Stint and Dunlin.

    Next stop was Larnaca Sewage Works where there is a bird hide and we spent ages in there looking over the lagoons, taking video and photos of the gulls that were there - we saw Caspian and Armenian Gulls and i was happy with the photos i took.

    We headed further down the road and had our picnic lunch (pita bread, garlic spread, feta cheese, a hard boiled egg and tomato) overlooking the beach then back to the salt lake where we saw the single Great Crested Grebe that had been reported - would never have seen it without the telescope!

    A stop at Oroklini Lake on the way back and photographed a very interesting gull which Ian and I disagreed with the identification. We spent quite some time in the evening researching and consulting with our friend James about and it was decided it was a Heuglin’s Gull (Ian had been saying Baltic Gull so this time i was right 😂)
    Read more