Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Good Morning Kuala Lumpur...Unexpectedly

    May 23, 2018 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Country number 5 in the bag!

    Woweeee what a change from the previous countries. There are no scooters, no horns blasting, driving on the left (and only the left not in both directions in one lane!), no pushing, the radio commentator and songs were in English, the car had seat belts, everyone spoke English, you can cross the road without fear of being runover and they even have contactless?!

    So we were supposed to arrive at the more respectable hour of 7:45pm in time to checkin to the hotel and have dinner at a reasonable time. Luck was not on our side. The plane was delayed by 4 hours so we arrived at 10:45pm, struggled to get a taxi from the airport (an hour away from the city), eventually arrived at the hotel at 12:20am, couldn't get into the hotel and eventually got in at 1am. Although very tired we were starving as we hadn't eaten since 9am! Luckily it is Ramadan and sourcing food is not a problem. We went across the road for a yummy Nasi Goreng. Phew! What a day. Our plan for the morning is to attempt to get up by 10am visit the Batu Caves and then see Zara who lives in KL and who we met when hiking up Fansipan.

    Wups... so I forgot that KL is an hour ahead and didn't wake up till 11am! I think I was tired! Nevertheless we got up, showered and were out by 12 and that's when the rain came. The heavens opened and there was a huge storm. It didn't last long so we waited and then headed to a local market nearby to have a wander and grab some food. Will ordered the Prawn Clay Pot with brown rice, it was super tasty! Then the heavens opened again, this time we aren't so sure it will stop... We are now stuck in the foodhall hoping for a clear opening at some point!

    Zara came to the rescue and picked us up I her car. She took us to her home town Putrajaya where we saw the administrative city where the prime minister ministers and King lives. It was interesting to hear about the political changes in Malaysia recently, about Malaysian people, about Ramadan and she helped us plan the rest of our time in Malaysia! In the afternoon we went to the Ramadan Baazar for food! It was just after 5 and most people come here after work to pick up their food, take it home to their families ready to break the fast at 7:20pm. We bought soo much food!Cakoi - bread
    Roti Baghdad with cheese and chicken
    Lemang with beef rendang
    Kuih pelita
    Roti john
    Although very tempting we didn't eat the food we didn't want to feel disrespectful so we decided to jump on a train back to the hotel (they even have a metro system!) and eat dinner there. We then spent the rest of the evening planning our next couple of days.

    It's crazy how we different and developed Malaysia is compared to everywhere we have been. I honestly wasn't expecting it!
    Read more