Satellite
  • Day 2

    Can nothing go right today?

    May 24, 2018 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    It was one of those days... As we only have 2.5 days in KL today we were determined to make the most and just visit lots of things.

    First of all as our room is like a prison cell it has zero daylight and so getting up early is just impossible (I refuse to put my alarm on while travelling unless absolutely necessary!) By the time we got out it was 11am, but we were determined it was still doable.

    First stop Batu Caves, an unmissable experience supposedly. We got to to the train station and waited 45mins for the train. There was work on the train line so we then had to get a shuttle bus, we waited another 30 mins before it could leave, then we jumped on another train, waiting 40 mins again for it to leave... We got there at 2pm! Starving was not the word! So we decided to go for lunch and ordered the quickest thing on the menu, Roti Chani. It took 45 mins to get it!!! We then hiked up a million steps in the 90% humidity, watched a man get robbed by a monkey (who carries a banana around monkeys and doesn't expect to be robbed?!), got to the top and couldn't have been more disappointed. There was scaffolding all over the inside. 😭 Having seen a lot if caves and temples this was by far the least impressive especially as it took 3 hours to get there instead of the expected 45 mins and took 5 mins to see it... Although grumpiness was running high we put brave faces on and headed back. It took 39 mins to get back.

    Next stop Medeka Square, a mosque and the national mosque. Humidity was reaching its max now and it was so difficult to walk. We wandered round and didn't hit too many barriers along the way apart from everything being shut! Luckily the National Mosque was open. I was so surprised how modern it was. It didn't have a dome or anything particularly Islamic on the outside. Inside a guide answered a few questions about Islam. Did you know that the crescent and star is a cultural thing and has no reference to the religious scriptures?

    Time to leave and head towards the famous Petronas Towers... Just as we put our bags on ready to leave the clouds went black and a huge storm came in. There was no way we were going in that we would jusy give wet to the bone. So they let us just sit in a corner to sit out the storm. It took an hour and 15 mins... It was just about clearing so we went to the station to get the train. Next stop Petronas Tower for the light show at 8pm. We got to the platform and the train was going to be 35 mins. It was now 7:40pm,so we ran back to the road and jumped in a Grab. He wasn't quite sure where the light show was but dropped us off as near as he could. We then ran through the park and just missed it! Shattered, hungry and hot we just sat at the water fountains to relax. And guess what the show started again! It wasn't just a once a night thing. We were super happy and relieved that one thing went right 😊 Then we headed to the Alor Market for food. Unfortunately it wasn't what expected and was actually a street of restaurants so we found one that sold Laksa and Prawn Mee. The laksa was just incredible so so tasty! Feeling energised we wandered round the streets and found a live open mic type band on a street corner. A really lovely end to a not so well planned day 😊

    The next day we had booked our bus to go to Penang so we just went out for lunch and ate Char Kuey Teow and Chilli Pan Mee. The humidity was so unbearable today so I was so glad to be in air conditioned bus.

    To Penang!!
    Read more