Satellite
  • Day 1

    Bagels and Boats

    October 21, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    We didn't want to make the same mistake we made in Singapore and sleep all day which completely screwed us up so we made lunch plans with Alex. We were utterly exhausted when we woke up but up we got anyway. As we were a bit early we decided to walk from 86th Street to 51st Street where we were meeting. Oh my god, it is bitterly cold here. I don't think we are prepared for this!! I am literally wearing every layer of clothing I have and I'm freezing.

    We left with plenty of time and had a really lovely 10 minutes of walking before realising we had walked in completely the wrong direction and were now at 96th street. It's a good job the streets are numbered here. We then power walked in reverse all the way to 51st where we were meeting for good old American bagels at Essa Bagel and we went all out! We got a Rueben bagel (this is a heartattack bagel full of pastrami and cheese, a bit much in my opinion) and a bacon and avocado bagel (super yummy). It was sooo nice to see Alex and Adriana after 2 years. He was at uni with me, lived in London and moved to NY 2 years ago. They are engaged!! So it was even more of an occasion to see them 😊 After lunch we went to a local pub for one and then let them get on with the rest of their day.

    Although I have been to NYC a couple of time now there are still a few things I've not done, including the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. We didn't realise it was free, so that was a great relief 🗽😌 It was pretty fun and we decided to stand outside so if I'm honest by the time we returned I was like a frozen snowman, so we had a hot chocolate in in the terminal while watching sunset before heading back home. For dinner we just ate cheerios and then went straight to bed.
    Read more