Satellite
  • Day 16

    Hmm Rain or Baking Heat...?

    November 15, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    All night there has been a huge storm, we finally got out of bed in preparation for our scuba day but the weather was just horrific. We would have got soaked getting to the dive shop, got soaked and cold on the boat and we expected the visibility to be really poor so we decided to cancel it. So we spent the morning chilling in the common area with Mocha and then when the rain finally stopped around 10 we made our way to Cebu City where we will fly out to Singapore tomorrow. As we were flexible for time we decided to get to the ferry the local way. Our host dropped us off at the main road, we then jumped onto a Jeepney (an elongated jeep with 2 benches as seats in the back) which had over 40 people in (not even joking) and then took a tricycle for the final 15 mins journey to the port. I've really loved how honest most people in the Philippines are. There's been no scamming at all and it's been so easy. Even though the weather has been off and on we've had such a fun time here and have so many plans for next time we come. Watch this space for more!!

    We jumped on the ferry in no time and arrived in Cebu City just after 1pm. As the ferry dropped us off at Fort San Pedro we decided to have a look around it before walking to our hotel. Wow what a change in weather. I was drowning in my own sweat within 2 seconds of getting off the boat. We had a guided tour around the Fort (still carrying our luggage) and I was just sweltering the whole time. It was gorgeous in the sun though.

    We then walked for 35 mins to our hotel. Why we thought this would be a good idea with our luggage and in the heat I don't know but we did. Luckily I booked a room with AC and we just de-sweated in the room haha

    Last time we was in the city it was over All Saints weekend and honestly the city was generally quite dead during the day. This time it was unbelievably busy. I don't think I can go back out there!!

    We put off going out until dinner. We must have been staying in an expat area as all the food was ridiculously priced and 100% meat. Our last night was spent eating rubbish. First we had Liempo (crispy pork), which I really didn't enjoy so didn't eat, then we went to Jollibee for Will as he wanted to try the disgusting sweet cheesy spaghetti thing and then I finally caved in and just went to McDonald's for a McChicken burger meal. Let's just say I'm ready for a change of scenery now...
    Read more