Satellite
  • Day 15

    Our First Desert - Khuri

    December 3, 2018 in India ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today is going to be super exciting! We are having our very first desert experience. We are off to Jaisalmer were we will ride a camel into the desert and then decide whether we want to camp underneath the stars or stay in a hut (it's supposed to be absolutely freezing at night and they don't provide proper warmth, so we will decide later!).

    After very little sleep (attempting to sleep in any of these city's seems near impossible, it's just so loud throughout the night) we got up, had a chai and aloo paratha and then headed off on our next adventure. Oh and an update on Will, his temperature is back to normal and his tummy is on the mend too. Phew!

    For about 5 hours the journey was a single road, with barely any sign of the living. There were a few trees dotted around, the odd herd of cattle or goats, a wind farm but that's it. As far as the eye could see was dry, sandy desert land with maybe an hand full of people along the way.

    It's been a really odd feeling being away at this time of year. I've seen so many posts about Christmas, advent and that wintery feeling and although we have felt cold in parts there isn't a single feeling of Christmas. Especially now that we are in a desert!

    When we arrived at our resort we were able to have a little rest before our camel ride. The last time I was on the back of an animal was when I rode a horse in the mountains of India 19 years ago. Now I must admit there is a reason I haven't done anything like it since, it was terrifying. I had an absolutely barking mad horse that would just keep rearing. So let's just say I was feeling nervous. At 4pm we all came out and each got on our camels. Eeek!! Getting up on top of the camel was fine, but when the camel stood it did make me squeal a bit inside. After a couple of minutes I soon got used to it and maybe because I'm used to being thrown around as the 3rd person on a scooter was why I felt much more comfortable than expected. It was a really fun experience. Now, is this cruel for the camels I'm not sure. So apologies to all my anti animal cruelty friends out there and I wouldn't do it again but it was pretty fun. I've never done anything like this before and it was just super exciting, romantic and just amazing. The camels took us to to the top of the sand dunes where we watched the most beautiful sunset and then we rode back. Wow the temperature difference was crazy. At one point it was 30 degrees and then all of a sudden it must have gone down to 12!

    In the evening we were showered in entertainment from the classical musicians, the dancer, a huge fire pit and ate from their buffet. It was good fun!!

    Once it started to quieten down a few of us chose to camp under the stars in the desert so off we went in a jeep to our romantic spot. I was worried about being cold and I shouldn't have. They had humongous multiple layered thick blankets that they laid outside the tent for us to lie under the stars on. Unfortunately there were a few lights around so it wasn't perfect but it was truly a spectacular night under the stars until we decided to get into our tents.
    Read more